Friday, January 24, 2020
Seven years later, the mosque was doubled in size to accommodate the increasing number of Muslims.
Abbasid
Caliph al-Mahdi (775-785) period, destroyed the northern section of
al-Walid's mosque between 778 and 781 to enlarge it further. He added
twenty doors to the mosque, eight on each of the east and west walls,
and four on the north wall.
Sultan
Nasir bin Muhammad bin Qala'un rebuilt the fourth minaret that had been
destroyed earlier. After a lightning that destroyed a big part of the
mosque in 1481, Sultan Qaytbay rebuilt the east, west and qibla walls.
A
new mihrab, called al-Ahnaf, was built next to the Prophet's mihrab
known as al-Shafi'iyyah, and a new dome covered in lead sheets and
painted green, above the Prophet's House and Tomb.
The
domes were decorated with Quranic verses and lines from Nahj al-Burdah
the famous poem by thirteenth century Arabic poet al-Busiri. The qibla
wall was covered with glazed tiles featuring Quranic calligraphy. The
floors of the prayer hall and the courtyard were paved with marble and
red stones and a fifth minaret, known as al-Majidiyya, was built to the
west of the enclosure.
In
1973 Saudi King Faisal bin Abdul Aziz ordered the construction of
temporary shelters to the west of the mosque to accommodate the growing
number of worshippers in 1981, the old mosque was surrounded by new
prayer areas on these sides, enlarging five times its size.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment